Sunday, October 21, 2012

small things


            My dad once told me that things like not throwing the trash out, putting lids back on the toothpaste, and not putting the toilet seat down are things that often cause divorce. Though I've never been married, I found the same principle can be applied to a lot of things, like friendship and teamwork. The small things that people do that really speak about your character, like whether or not you attempt to do a homework assignment that you completely do not understand (like math), or if you kick your friends stuff if they drop it, it was always the small things that occur often that you tend to remember.
            And that's what I think I could do to make a positive difference, anywhere and anytime. No, I'm not saying that I'm going to go out and do another one of those ridiculous Pay It Forward things, where you have to do something blatantly nice for people. But as I said, the small things. Helping a person in the hallway. Respecting another person's opinion, even if you disagree with it. Picking up trash that's not yours. The small things that people notice and sometimes forget.
            As for the past example thing and the future plan thing, I don't really have much to say. I help people out when they drop stuff. I help people with their homework. Pick up trash that's not mine. I even compliment things, but only if I honestly like it. I know how it is to have a bad day, but I also know about how one small thing someone does for me, like compliment my shirt, or help me clean up after a project, really turns my day around. So I think I'll do that small thing, and help turn around other peoples days, whether it's doing dishes for my mom, or picking up a pencil for a stranger.
            Small things build up. They are significant. The earth is made of atoms, and atoms split can cause big destruction. Small things can become big. This post is made out of 400 words. There are only 26 letters in the alphabet, and when you put them in the right order, they can say big things. Ideas are intangible but sentient and you cannot destroy them. They can start very small, but can be very incendiary. Radical. Even the ocean was once a drop. Even God started the universe with a band of light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment