Sunday, September 23, 2012

Saw the Dark Knight today

with one of my besties. We wasted the first half the day on homework and Starbucks and circling around Twixt Town before we went to the movie. It's September, so a lot of the hype from the movie was calmed down. I knew one of the major spoilers already because the internet is terrible. I wasn't expecting anything out of it, just a nice time to sit and relax and enjoy Joseph Gordon Levitt's face.

But I do like surprises, and this was an especially nice one---the movie was actually pretty good! A friend recently posted something on this topic in her blog about movie reviews and seeing a movie with an open mind. I read it right after I got home from the movie---good timing. So anything I'd have to say on that has already been said in her blog post.

As an average movie-goer I'd have to say that the third installment of this Batman movie was pretty solid. There were lots of good twists that were only subtlety hinted at, and thus managed to come as a complete (and believable) surprise when they were revealed. Some of the pacing was a little bit off, but no scene was there without reason.

I liked the characters. Instead of discussing their development the characters showed it through their decisions and actions---nothing got too sentimental. Bruce Wayne didn't really develop any further other than to return back to his life in the suit. Certain relationships had nice developments throughout the movie, but a few were a bit overdone and obvious. I want to give examples on them---but I don't want to reveal any spoilers!!

Because the plot twists are plenty and great. There are a lot of ways you can guess how a story is going to play out----like the trope of Spoiled by the Format and when there are too many plot lines that need to be resolved in an efficient and obvious way and therefor aren't done in a creative and novel manner. Think of how in romantic comedies all the side characters get paired up with each other in unlikely and humorous combinations. It's literally a writer's way of keeping them busy and finished.

My favorite element of the whole movie was definitely the action and technology though. Because holy crap have you seen Batman's new flying space machine thingy? It looks like it came out of a video game! Out of my wildest dreams! The love child of a sci-fi nerd and a CGI Picasso. It was so COOL. And then his motorcycle that could reverse the wheel's direction! I've taken some tough engineering classes at Kirkwood and the U of I and so seeing something switch gears like that kind of blew my mind. SO AWESOME.

And that's a blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment