Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Waypoint

"According to an Activity Summary posted on the Cedar Rapid's official website, there have been 669 assaults in 2013 from January to September. The website does not define assaults, but as there is a "Misc. Sex Crimes" which rates at 548, it may be that sexual assault is also in that list. There were also 451 known cases of domestic abuse in town, and 63 cases of stalking.

In our community, one of the largest provider's of help is the Waypoint center. Waypoint offers shelter and support for those who are experiencing homelessness, poverty, domestic violence or sexual assault. It also provides service to over 600 children of varying socio-economic classes, and 24 hour hotlines for people in need."

The above is part of a paper on community resources that I wrote. I've really learned a lot in my investigation class. I'd think I'd like to volunteer at Waypoint or ASAC. I want to see if I have the disposition to handle it. If I follow the path I'm thinking about, I know that I would be dealing with people at some of the worst times in their lives. I need to know if I'm the right kind of person for the job.



No comments:

Post a Comment