Thursday, January 3, 2013

More on Music

While I'm still on this tangent.

I've always wished I could have been a musician. I don't tell people that, but it's true. It's really good for your mind, and it's great for helping people. I know that at the U of I, musicians are often some of the best entertainers and comforters for the kids who are diagnosed with cancer.

Music is a place where there are no words for.

Since I write (in contrast of being a writer---you actually have to actively write to be such, hahahaha /cries) I understand that sometimes there are no words for what you want to convey. Writer's paint rooms of images and pray for the readers to get to the image and feeling their trying to convey. With music,  I feel that it's more a direct link. That the emotions and feelings are right there. With writing, their is more room for interpretation, and for emotions where there are no words for, music fills that emptiness. With words you can only shape such by measuring it's vastness, and even then, it is only qualitative data.

And I think that other people understand.

Look, everyone is kind of in general agreement that music lately has gone down in quality--- the music industry literally has the common pop song down to a formula. So it's interesting to see that classic/acoustic cover of pop songs are so popular. Gangnam Style may be a massive hit, with its 1.1 billion views and lead as Youtube's most popular video, but the four million people who have seen this acoustic version of Psy's magnum opus would agree that slower, more natural version is infinitely better.

Music speaks to us on a raw and personal level. When I write, I try to listen to something that helps me connect my writing better just to get on that level that music provides. While there is beauty in both expressions, music can speak without words. And that's kind of amazing, to me, to someone whose trying to build a life on a craft that uses entirely words.

I mean how often do stories bring tears to your eyes by their sentence structure alone? Usually it's the story that brings such an effect to people. But with music, it's both. And it happens often. There is a difference between reading about tragedy and then actually listening to it, and that difference is something between reality and simply telling stories. Music does both.

I wish I was a musician. I'd probably pay something sexy, like a guitar.

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts on this. Music really does seem to have the feeling of emotional connection, and writings are usually harder to connect with, more so with some people than others. But I feel that writing really still can have a huge impact on people, not the story, but the way it's written.

    And you would be a pretty sexy guitar player.

    ReplyDelete